Saturday, January 21, 2006
Quick game of ketchup
I have internet access for the evening, courtesy of having to come to work. Trying to catch up on the most essential emails and such, in between working cases.
I love you people. Thank you so so so much for the messages of concern, wishes, prayers, and other good vibes, as well as information on polar bear blubber and vitamin poisoning. Thanks also for offers of assistance. We've got things covered, but truly appreciate it.
On the 19th the team at West Boca sent an endoscope down his gullet, under general anaesthesia. They found an ulcer with a shadowy something in the middle that was likely the magnets. That something in the middle couldn't be gotten out. Surgery required.
The surgery occurred yesterday, the 20th, and took longer than anticipated—it was about 2 hours. rhonan had it right—one magnet had gone down the small intestine, and the other had stayed in the stomach, and they attracted. The ensuing irritation and vomiting episode caused them to begin tunneling toward each other, scar tissue forming a tube. Surgeons had to disconnect the tube, remove the magnets, and fix the holes. They were thrilled at how fixable it was, though - no ancillary damage like necrosis or sepsis or any of that. It could have been far worse.
Afterward, straight into ICU and morphine. It's not fully effective against the pain, though. He got out of ICU today and is still convalescing, no food or liquid yet. The innards have to heal first.
My weekend is starting after tonight's shift, and I'll most likely be spending all of it at the hospital. I'll certainly be there after shift tonight. Will continue to post phone-to-email-to-LJ updates as necessary and able.
Not much more to add to this (except I don't have a phone-to-email gateway to update this site).
Are you tired of network tarpits yet?
You would not believe how hard it was to write a binary search that returned the correct index for a missing record in an array.
A week later, and I finally have it working.
One technique used to debug a program is to have another program that
does the same thing, but implemented using a different method or language or
both. And I did. I ran the Perl
program I had over the 1.1G log
file, then ran
ltpstat over the same log file and got two
ltpstat returned 2% more connections than the Perl script.
Getting a dump from the currently running version on the LaBrea system and cleaning
the output showed a 2% difference again.
So I spent the past week trying to track down the problem. It was
ltpstat was storing duplicate records, but
why was a different matter. My testing sample of about 1,100
connections is apparently too small to completely test the program, so I had
to test using the 1.1G log file which
has approximately 230,000 connections.
To help debug this problem, I wrote a linear search and would call it as well as the binary search. If both agreed, then I would return the information, otherwise, I would log the discrepency, do the search again, then exit. The reason for doing the search a second time? So I could set a breakpoint there, and let the program run for a couple of hours until it triggered. Then I could step through both searches to see where the problem was.
Yup, each run took several hours to trigger the bug.
I ended up testing four different binary search routines (including the original one I thought worked, plus one I modified from The Standard C Library, plus two other versions I wrote) before sitting down and working through things on paper.
And I still missed corner cases.
But finally, I tested my final version it against the Perl script and only had 122 discrepencies out of some 230,000 records (or 5% of 5%—too small for me to worry about after spending a week on this).
I took a snapshot of the currently running version (which had been running for a bit over three days now), cleansed the output of duplicates, and the final tally was 416,230 connections from 12,911 unique IPs. Again, nothing surprising about the ports being attacked:
|Port #||Port description||# connections|
|Port #||Port description||# connections|
|139||NetBIOS Session Service||160,799|
|80||Hypertext Transfer Protocol||23,921|
|22||Secure Shell Login||7,253|
|1433||Microsoft SQL Server||6,503|
|8080||Hypertext Transfer Protocol—typical alternative port||3,717|
|3128||Squid HTTP Proxy||3,329|
And again, the Microsoft specific ports account for 81% of the scans. I'll need to discuss with Smirk about blocking those ports in the core router. If nothing else, LaBrea is giving me an indication of which ports to block.