Tuesday, November 30, 2010
I guess I can add “Facebook App Developer” to my résumé now …
I didn't expect my “proof-of-concept” to take as long to integrate into mod_blog as it did, and I do apologize to my friends on MyFaceSpaceBook who got spammed earlier today with, frankly, bizarre posts as I attempted to debug the new code. It's working, but there's still a worrying memory overwrite buried deep in the code that I've yet to fully squash (“fixing” a bug by reordering function calls is not a fix, but a temporary workaround).
But I have accomplished my goal of updating MyFaceSpaceBook automatically. It involved:
- Registering the application at MyFaceSpaceBook (you need to have a MyFaceSpaceBook account to see the page, otherwise I'd link to the page).
- Manually entering the appropriate URL (from the “User-Agent Flow” section) to give my “application” access to my MyFaceSpaceBook account.
- Manually entering another URL to give my “application” access to update the MyFaceSpaceBook status.
- Adding the code to authenticate as an application, which gives me the token required for the last step.
- And finally, adding the code to update my status.
The first three steps took several hours on the development site (which is horribly organized by the way—it's taken about an hour just to find the pages again for this post) and the last two took a couple of hours today to properly add the code (to add configuration options, pass in the actual status text, the final 10% of the code that tends to take 90% to finish).
And with luck, this will post properly.
I can only hope.