Yesterday (from January 16 at 06:28:25 to January 17 08:54:50) LaBrea
generated 1.1G of log data, and it took
full five minutes to run
grep 'Initial Connect' daemon.log.0 | wc
-l (255,344 new tarpitting connections by the way).
LaBrea was also running at full speed, maxed out at 64Kbps bandwidth to keep all these connections tarpitted (the maximum I set LaBrea to use, by the way).
That first large dip in the graph (the one around 6:30 in the morning) is
probably due to the system attempting to rotate a 1.1G log file. The second dip, at the right (around
3:00 pm) is when I restarted LaBrea so its logging information would go
After an hour of running:
Start: Tue Jan 17 14:55:59 2006 End: Tue Jan 17 15:55:59 2006 Running time: 1h Pool-max: 1048576 Pool-num: 24322 Rec-max: 1048576 Rec-num: 24322 UIP-max: 1048576 UIP-num: 1282 Reported-bandwidth: 40 (Kb/sec)
And after two hours:
Start: Tue Jan 17 14:55:59 2006 End: Tue Jan 17 16:56:19 2006 Running time: 2h 20s Pool-max: 1048576 Pool-num: 33326 Rec-max: 1048576 Rec-num: 33326 UIP-max: 1048576 UIP-num: 1632 Reported-bandwidth: 40 (Kb/sec)
And right this second:
Start: Tue Jan 17 14:55:59 2006 End: Tue Jan 17 18:37:19 2006 Running time: 3h 41m 20s Pool-max: 1048576 Pool-num: 42931 Rec-max: 1048576 Rec-num: 42931 UIP-max: 1048576 UIP-num: 2148 Reported-bandwidth: 40 (Kb/sec)
rec-max are the maximum
sizes for the structure array and pointer array, and both should always be
equal at all times (I'm displaying this number more for debugging purposes
than anything else), while
(which should also be equal at all times) represent the current number of
connectioned tarpitted. I also keep track of unique IPs, which just now is currently 2,148
(out of 1,048,576 that I can store). I also just found out that IP address
has 4,809 connections currently tarpitted (and in the few seconds it took to
do that query, five more connections were tarpitted).
I'll be releasing this code in the next few days, when I can write up some documentation and slap on a license.