the DoH server I wrote works fine
(looking over the logs,
it's amazing just how many queries mainstream sites make—CNN's main page made requests to over
260 other sites and that's after I restricted the number of redirects allowed)
except for Github.
The browser would claim it couldn't find Github,
(although the logs said otherwise),
or the the page formatting was broken because the browser couldn't locate various other servers
(which again the logs said otherwise).
So I dived in to figure out the issue.
It turns out the DNS replies were just a tad bit larger than expected.
The Lua wrapper I wrote for my DNS library used the RFC mandated limit for the message size,
which these days,
is proving to be a bit small
(that particular RFC was written in 1987).
The fix was trival
(increase the packet size)
after the hour of investigation.
You have my permission to link freely to any entry here. Go
ahead, I won't bite. I promise.
The dates are the permanent links to that day's entries (or
entry, if there is only one entry). The titles are the permanent
links to that entry only. The format for the links are
simple: Start with the base link for this site: http://boston.conman.org/, then add the date you are
interested in, say 2000/08/01,
so that would make the final URL:
You can also specify the entire month by leaving off the day
portion. You can even select an arbitrary portion of time.
You may also note subtle shading of the links and that's
intentional: the “closer” the link is (relative to the
page) the “brighter” it appears. It's an experiment in
using color shading to denote the distance a link is from here. If
you don't notice it, don't worry; it's not all that
It is assumed that every brand name, slogan, corporate name,
symbol, design element, et cetera mentioned in these pages is a
protected and/or trademarked entity, the sole property of its
owner(s), and acknowledgement of this status is implied.