I don't even know where to begin.
One of the tasks our team is currently working on for “Project: SocialSpace2.0” is to separate the user uploaded content (images, videos, etc) to its own webserver (what we're calling “the static content”) to make it easier to scale out the site.
My task is to figure out how the content is uploaded to the site. This
is not an easy task. The proprietary PHP framework (where have I heard that tale before?) consists of
over 400,000 lines of undocumented code (but of course!) spread across 3,000
files (really!) that is a prime example of why object oriented programming
can be a Bad Thing™ (early on in the project, I was curious as to how
far down the rabbit hole this code went, so I spent some time starting with
the topmost PHP file and replacing each
call with the code it referenced; I stopped after including over 15,000
lines of code and that's before anything is executed).
The automagical code is amazing. Even though I changed
which is relative to the
DOCUMENT_ROOT and thus, hard to
move to its own domain, to
the content is still save to the old location, thus making it harder to move the content to its own domain.
Wow! I'm seriously impressed by the previous team's work.
This is going to be painful, I can tell.