It was a crazier day at The Office and I wasn't even at The Office; I was working at home.
I think the pinnacle of the mess was this lovely bit of
sendmail—from the configuration file
/etc/mail/access on the server as installed:
# Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf file for a description # of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file) # The /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc # package. # # by default we allow relaying from localhost... localhost.localdomain RELAY localhost RELAY 127.0.0.1 RELAY
And the format of said file from
The table itself uses e-mail addresses, domain names, and network numbers as keys. Note that IPv6 addresses must be prefaced with "IPv6:". For example, From:firstname.lastname@example.org REJECT From:cyberspammer.com REJECT Connect:cyberspammer.com REJECT Connect:TLD REJECT Connect:192.168.212 REJECT Connect:IPv6:2002:c0a8:02c7 RELAY Connect:IPv6:2002:c0a8:51d2::23f4 REJECT
Notice anything … different … about the two?
XXX XXXXXX XXXXXXX piece of XXXX!
I think I got it working (the reason I think I have it
working is that I have no easy way of actually testing this crap!
All my email (both work and personal) is checked on the respective email
servers locally, using
mutt since I find it faster that way. I
don't use POP or IMAP. While POP is pretty easy to test using
telnet, IMAP isn't. Toss in SMTP AUTH (which goes from difficult to
downright impossible to test via
telnet) and I'm practically
forced to use some bloated piece of XXXX
Lookout Outlook. Or Thunderbird, which
makes me pine for the days of checking my email as 1200 baud).
(Can you tell this stuff makes me rather cranky?)
I know that Cacti requires the use of RRDTool, and knowing that just
doing the straightforward
yum install rrd would never work, I
did the next best thing:
[root@netmon ~]# yum search rrd Searching Packages: Setting up repositories update 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00 base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00 addons 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00 extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00 Reading repository metadata in from local files gpg-pubkey.None 443e1821-421f218f installed Matched from: —–BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK—– Version: rpm-4.3.3 (beecrypt-3.0.0) mQGiBEIfIY8RBACIjFavOQNbs4bjTtOblq4X5/oxuTJtv41nfqSFNeUAQke0qoxxAUlBesWx DsOXp5VppgNEA07hGjPvzoxabLAsTccQplvHMNzmRezyukYrSTVR/F7gywpvlhaAFkL9jZxo dXzWKk2cmBLVWvuyzlLEUBeijm2amyEHcIGAczxPawCgmVcM9WpA6SOKivd9qTXK2XP+9BUD /2xV4OR4L7q8CSiaDMwPLo6P6D6VDc9LpVy16WmuiYPFJIcIpp309biKZhGZgd+gHDhld9EJ cZ3A2v43GY/xCdJqZ7Uh5QIGDafnil872AbMIBYpcOpvAshTM10S3Qj06pIQE47oONZT5A80 O/hn+Yd8ySCEswpbWCmtAxnciNw3A/0Qk/bKrhT6J9Um2JhMfxx/nB80mM+Jlsn58B8i4sjr IVdzc3b45Y2wbXN3uVGuvvAFolAco3cpVy3oY1wMVuh8UlJFNESmxZL/Z7BXyKhiKUZrNxEv Qt9OtD1Fd36ur8Ky8zFE5GL903Nx/dEVBvIDq2/2K3Wy9Yq3YIC0PW7fkrQlQ2VudE9TLTQg a2V5IDxjZW50b3MtNGtleUBjZW50b3Mub3JnPohfBBMRAgAfBQJCHyGPBQkSzAMABAsHAwID FQIDAxYCAQIeAQIXgAAKCRClPQurRD4YISH0AJ9zmx2JPGt8ELKo3aE0YoGg6EYipwCdH3kR VJHQtDeRs/5v5Ghn92XZS4KITAQTEQIADAUCQh8hxAWDEswCywAKCRA4whYWOWygpCumAJwO seF0mAV+j/0kGrKXf/FKboFScgCdEITVqtB1CCyn+q+IqnCmgEF8rYy5Ag0EQh8hqhAIAKwN u60J+AnfVjNk0eN26sKBQOHFVQX9M3bdNBVWruocb7dro6DG4daPVB66ZI9RqBusll0jz5nU hBO3GZ3rn/KLVhMO2uCtvdcwWYtY6188lO6lOm3aYadIqafcPPiiLnF3zm/E8hI/trbPpaoW 1dFBOiSlOY4bSpSCnTuHYd5fjYu77wQhnSsl19XfqwuvHQKW1vhXCaM2GrsLA5tgjLOlJhYJ 4yPY2LToyxoWC/JMMM0Vwi7BaVoa/G2uamC6sL5f6KXei5QftemUvw1uM/2fkLbuHtwETq6Z yUZlsL1H5K5G4h+GDVByBF6Y2P1csi7oXK13sdzhkewLaMjmah8ABAsH/3zhD0Gy1jlMs9dG KSi9kq3jcUE/4o3vvjOPbxqT9psJu0jMEAfUVCWX9BWgZXyE2u+nBxcYAnNyqdmQzs6wTgJW GeGKpyC1jIKtO888RpPShvXtt/aNF4LaoielWZY9xu5oYEhnmBoww3VTbVxFNaPjglZOWnTx WfysHwG0H/dnXMp1sJjfdNsiB7zNniRRurlIiy0xhQSkDLe4tUr9Q9u4ztZKbwVX/fBzJC/u 4Smi4VYx+HfOAP3OqzcGKNcb68GpIVo31RUQq1JqpPSM5U41kW8u+S5n+zhjZsb/Ix3ks18g I8wz5u5yzfGacqp65NLisqVeOKEf/MQ1xWytG4SITAQYEQIADAUCQh8hqgUJEswDAAAKCRCl PQurRD4YIXC1AKCF3t5xKJnEXJfgvhvldOzDIFjajwCgkX/MZI0O0SxYQAc2hEQJqCI/LJV= =Qsai —–END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK—– [root@netmon ~]#
Okay, try a more focused search:
[root@netmon ~]# yum search rrdtool Searching Packages: Setting up repositories Reading repository metadata in from local files No Matches found [root@netmon ~]#
Why did I even bother with the package manager?
So it's off to manually track down dependencies.
About an hour later, I finally get around to installing Cacti 0.8.6h (yes yes, I know they're up to 0.8.6i but I had the 0.8.6h tarball handy). It goes pretty smoothly, except that it's not generating any graphs. I run the cron job by hand, and yes, it's polling data from the network devices. Everything else is running smoothly.
Just no pretty pictures of network usage.
A few hours of pointless activity go by (I even inlist the help of Wlofie to see if I may have overlooked something) when I check the instance of Cacti we're running at The Office against the one I installed. We're running 0.8.6g. I happen to have the tarball of that handy.
I install that.
It works. I get pretty pictures.
A blood vessel in my brain explodes.
I'm found lying in a pool of my own blood, dead.
Oh wait! This isn't for NaNoWriMo …