A 20-month-old boy died after he swallowed magnets that twisted his
small intestine and created a blockage, federal officials said.
Three other children, between the ages of 3 and 8, suffered
intestinal perforations that required surgery and hospitalization in
intensive care. And a 5-year-old boy inhaled two magnets that had to
be surgically removed from his lungs.
Nearly 4 million
magnetic toy sets recalled (link via an email from
Our own little magnetic
episode wasn't caused by these toys (although we do have some of these
toys) but by some actual refrigerator magnets, I'm surprised that this
happens this often (and inhaling? As if swallowing wasn't
Obligatory Contact Info
You have my permission to link freely to any entry here. Go
ahead, I won't bite. I promise.
The dates are the permanent links to that day's entries (or
entry, if there is only one entry). The titles are the permanent
links to that entry only. The format for the links are
simple: Start with the base link for this site: http://boston.conman.org/, then add the date you are
interested in, say 2000/08/01,
so that would make the final URL:
You can also specify the entire month by leaving off the day
portion. You can even select an arbitrary portion of time.
You may also note subtle shading of the links and that's
intentional: the “closer” the link is (relative to the
page) the “brighter” it appears. It's an experiment in
using color shading to denote the distance a link is from here. If
you don't notice it, don't worry; it's not all that
It is assumed that every brand name, slogan, corporate name,
symbol, design element, et cetera mentioned in these pages is a
protected and/or trademarked entity, the sole property of its
owner(s), and acknowledgement of this status is implied.